Built by John Farnsworth in 1860, this house remained in the Farnsworth family until 1879 when the family moved to Chicago. At that time, Charles Minard, the son of early settler, Ira Minard, bought the mansion. An 1885 fire destroyed the interior of the home, leaving just the stone walls standing. Herbert Nicholson, manager of the St. Charles Condensing Company bought the home in 1891 and restored it.
John Farnsworth, a lawyer from Michigan, came to St. Charles in 1845. During the volatile period leading up to the Civil War, Farnsworth became an ardent abolitionist. One example of his dedication to the cause occured when abolitionist, Ichabod Codding, came to the Kane County Courthouse to give a series of lectures. Farnsworth and another man patrolled the area outside of the courtroom "with slungshots in their sleeves made of chunks of lead encased in old stockings, ready to give the rioters a warm reception should they attempt to carry out their threats and interupt Mr. Codding's speeches."
Farnsworth also became involved in politics. Though a Democrat in his early years, Farnsworth left the party and in 1856 was first elected to Congress as a Republican. He was a well respected official, reportedly having many of his speeches published in many newspapers. Farnsworth served as a congressman for 14 years, only abstaining from his political duties during the Civil War when he led the 8th Illinois Cavalry Regiment. In November of 1862, Colonel Farnsworth was promoted to Brigadier-General. He resigned from the service in 1863. Following his resignation, Farnsworth served as a congressman until 1872 when he was defeated by Stephen Hurlbut. In 1879 he moved to Chicago and later to Washington D.C.. He died in 1897.
Soon after the turn of the century the mansion began its new life as a school building. In 1907, the Sisters of St. Dominic purchased the residence and the surrounding property for a private girls' school. The Dominican Sisters remodeled the home to provide classrooms and rooms for boarders. When Mount St. Mary Academy opened on August 15, 1907, it boasted convenient access to both the railways and electric cars, making it easier for students to reach the campus. The expansive Gothic style addition, constructed in 1926, gave the growing and successful school more room to house its classes, which were offered to girls from Kindergarten through twelfth grades. By the 1940s, Mount St. Mary became solely a high school. Day and resident students gained an education in a wide array of subject material including: home economics, typing, math, science, foreign language, and physical education. By the 1970s, the school began to face financial problems, and in June 1972, Mount St. Mary Academy bid adieu to its final graduating class of 110 girls. It was not long before the old building was once again housing a parochial school. In September 1972, the Lutheran High School Association of Greater Chicago purchased the property. A co-ed high school opened in 1974 and welcomed approximately 300 students. The old Farnsworth mansion housed a thrift shop. The profits of which went to support the school. Like Mount St. Mary Academy, Valley Lutheran High School, or as it was later known, Fox Valley Lutheran Academy, incurred financial problems. By the early 1990s, it was decided that it was best to close the institution. Since that time, the school has again reopened in Elgin, Illinois.
the closure of Fox Valley Lutheran Academy, developers sought
to buy the property. Noble House Development originally
wanted to convert the old school building into condominiums.
Local residents protested this option. The other option,
destruction of the buildings, was also much protested by
former students of the schools, Civil war re-enactors, and
local citizens. Unfortunately, both the mansion and the
school building were razed to make room for a housing development.
The stones from the mansion were dismantled and were stored
on the Moline Corporation property. The development planned
to occupy the property also came upon hard times. The homes
and sites were auctioned off in 1997.
1999, the City of St. Charles gained ownership of the limestone
blocks. Studies are currently underway to determine if Langum
park is a good location for rebuilding the Farnsworth Mansion.
photographs, see these sources,
more fully described in the Bibliography.
History p 63
St. Charles Illinois p 61
Then and Now
Mount St. Marys Vertical File
Fox Valley Lutheran Academy Vertical File
Valley Lutheran High School Vertical File
Will Open." St. Charles Chronicle 23 Aug. 1907.
Viewpointe?" St. Charles Republican 5 June 1997,
Wayne. "Trio of Volunteers Revives Valley Lutheran." Chicago
Tribune 18 June 1990, 2:1:2.
Michael. "Deficit, Attendance Woes Challenge Valley Lutheran."
St. Charles Chronicle 13 May 1988.
Mary Ann. "Debate Rages Over Farnsworth Stones." Kane
County Chronicle 10 March 1993, A:1.
Mary Ann. "Farnsworth Mansion Leveled." Kane County
Chronicle 3 March 1993, A:1.
Mary Ann. "Fox Valley Alum Fight Wrecking Ball." Kane
County Chronicle 29 July 1992, A:1.
Mary Ann. "John Farnsworth: Congressman, Civil War General,
Abolitionist." Kane County Chronicle 23 March 1993,
History in St. Charles - Digitized collection of the
library's local history books, maps, newspapers and photographs.
Pliny. Commemorative, Biographical, and Historical
Record of Kane County, Illinois. Chicago: Beers, Leggett,
and Co., 1888.
Buy Mt. St. Mary's" St. Charles Chronicle 20 Sept.
St. Mary's Greets 114 for New School Year." St. Charles
Ruth Ann. Reflections of St. Charles. Elgin: Brethern
Ruth S. "Last Days at the Mount." St. Charles Chronicle
7 June 1972.
Jami. "Developer May Rebuild Former Mansion Using Old
Limestone." St. Charles Republican 5 June 1997,
Victoria. "Graduates Come Back for All-Mount Reunion."
Kane County Chronicle 18 May 1990, A:1:2.
Tom. "Lutherans to Reopen Former Catholic Girls High School."
Chicago Tribune 1 Oct. 1972.
Lutheran High School Makes History." Fox Fax News